Here’s what you need to know:
- You need to complete a contract prior to registering for Directed Research/Directed Studies credit. You and your faculty mentor (usually the PI) will work together to define your research project, what you will do, and how it will be evaluated. Though you will work together on the ideas, you need to write the description of the project and the experimental approach section of the contract. You can then work with your mentor to refine your understanding and the text. This process takes time so plan accordingly.
- Plan to spend a minimum of 45 hours per term for each credit you earn.
- You should always download the contract found on the CBS Student Services website -http://www.cbs.umn.edu/students/directed-research. The contract is updated on a regular basis. To access the current version, please download it from the website every time you register for Directed Research/Studies credit.
- Contracts are due in CBS Student Services by the 10th day of classes which is the last day that changes to your schedule can be made without college approval.
- A fully approved contract has your signature, the signature of your faculty mentor, and the signature of the director of undergraduate studies for the department of registration. "Signatures" do not need to be scanned. They are validated by typing your name and sending the contract from your U of M X500 account.
- You will find helpful instructions for registering for Directed Research/Studies on the last page of the contract. Be sure to read this page.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact me or your CBS adviser.