NON-MODEL ORGANISM PROTEOGENOMICS
Vermillion et al., J. Proteome Res. 2015, 14, 4792-4804.
- Hibernation proteogenomics in 13-lined ground squirrel.
- Study quantified 2007 cardiac proteins and over 350 peptide sequences derived from previously uncharacterized protein products.
- This allows for improved genomic annotation of this non-model organism, as well as quantification allows insights into novel cardioprotective mechanisms used during hibernation.
Jagtap et al., J Proteome Res. 2014 13(12): 5898–5908.
- Extended the Galaxy bioinformatics framework to facilitate proteogenomic analysis.
- The customized Galaxy-based workflow includes automated, batch-mode BLASTP searching and a Peptide Sequence Match Evaluator tool, both useful for evaluating the veracity of putative novel peptide identifications.
- 53 peptides corresponding to novel proteoforms were identified.
- 14 of these peptides were mapped as alternative translating frames in the PRB1 and PRB2 genes on chromosome 12.