The temporal and spatial control of gene expression during development is a dynamic process that relies on altering the composition of DNA-associated factors as well as the nuclear organization of the genome. Advances in next-generation sequencing technologies have allowed us to take a precise look at the changes that occur throughout the genome as cells change from one type into another. Having had 14+ years of bench experience studying transcriptional regulation, chromatin structure and protein-DNA interactions, I am interested in finding out 1) how the genome responds to cell-fate reprogramming by sequence-specific DNA binding proteins and 2) how cell identity is maintained by transcriptional regulators. As a member of the Developmental Biology Center, I have worked extensively to both traditional model organisms such as M. musculus, D. melanogaster and C. elegans and regenerative species such as D. rerio (zebrafish), N. viridescens (newt) and the A. mexicanum (axolotl). I am a strong proponent of reproducible research I have published the full methods for the publications listed below at github.com/micahgearhart. Our department aims to train the next generations of biologists to embrace genome-wide approaches and apply statistical and critical analyses to their results and interpretations. As a Research Assistant Professor in our department, my goal is not only to collaborate with investigators to analyze and interpret next generation sequencing data, but also to facilitate the transfer of knowledge regarding bioinformatics tools and statistical methods for functional genomics to our researchers and graduate students.
- Choi SH, Gearhart MD, Cui Z, Bosnakovski D, Kim M, Schennum N, Kyba M. DUX4 recruits p300/CBP through its C-terminus and induces global H3K27 acetylation changes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016 Mar 6. PubMed PMID: 26951377.
- Cao Q, Gearhart MD, Gery S, Shojaee S, Yang H, Sun H, Lin DC, Bai JW, Mead M, Zhao Z, et al. BCOR regulates myeloid cell proliferation and differentiation. Leukemia. 2016 Feb 5. PubMed PMID: 26847029.
- Gearhart MD, Erickson JR, Walsh A, Echeverri K. Identification of Conserved and Novel MicroRNAs during Tail Regeneration in the Mexican Axolotl. Int J Mol Sci. 2015 Sep 11;16(9):22046-61. PubMed PMID: 26378530; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4613296.
- Murphy MW, Lee JK, Rojo S, Gearhart MD, Kurahashi K, Banerjee S, Loeuille GA, Bashamboo A, McElreavey K, Zarkower D, Aihara H, Bardwell VJ. An ancient protein-DNA interaction underlying metazoan sex determination. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2015 Jun;22(6):442-51. PubMed PMID: 26005864; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4476070.
- Yang JA, Tubo NJ, Gearhart MD, Bardwell VJ, Jenkins MK. Cutting edge: Bcl6-interacting corepressor contributes to germinal center T follicular helper cell formation and B cell helper function. J Immunol. 2015 Jun 15;194(12):5604-8. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1500201. Epub 2015 May 11. PubMed PMID: 25964495; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4458443.
- Lindeman RE, Gearhart MD, Minkina A, Krentz AD, Bardwell VJ, Zarkower D. Sexual cell-fate reprogramming in the ovary by DMRT1. Curr Biol. 2015 Mar 16;25(6):764-71. PubMed PMID: 25683803; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4366330.