Diversity and inclusion are necessary to achieve breakthrough discoveries and to prepare today’s students to create the biology of tomorrow.
In order to achieve inclusion for all students, faculty and staff, we are committed to the foundational scientific practice of examining assumptions and biases. We believe that a self-aware science community, active institutional efforts and individual advocacy will help remove barriers for the success of all community members across differences, including race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, geography, and socioeconomic status or background.
News and events
Explore stories relating to equity and diversity at the College of Biological Sciences and beyond.
- News and Events From the CBS Connect blog
- U of M Critical Conversations About Diversity and Justice series
- Improving Campus Climate News and Perspectives
For CBS students
College of Biological Sciences undergraduate and graduate students have access to a wide range of student groups and science-based associations.
For faculty and staff
How can we develop an inclusive climate in CBS classes to support effective learning of all students? Here are some helpful links that have been reviewed by several CBS faculty.
- Inclusive teaching framework and strategies
- Creating an identity-safe classroom
- Identifying our own attitudes
- UMN's Center for Teaching and Learning, GLBT classroom resources for faculty
- Equity and diversity in the search process toolkit
Find more information about equity and diversity at the University of Minnesota.