BMBB Diversity Statement
Our Commitment to Diversity
The Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Biophysics (BMBB) is committed to the education, training, and professional success of a diverse community of scholars.
Diversity enriches science and education by providing a multiplicity of ideas, perspectives, and talents. It is an asset that enhances our missions of excellence in scientific research and teaching.
We recognize diversity in many aspects, inclusive of race, ethnicity, religious practice, socioeconomic status, nation of origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, neurodiversity, age, and disability.
We promote a professional culture that emphasizes mutual respect, inclusiveness, safety, and support. The BMBB department’s faculty, students, and staff are committed to working together to continuously improve our culture and profession. As part of this commitment, we discuss challenges, set goals, and invest time and effort to create a more inclusive community. In addition, we regularly host speakers through an “Enhancing our Culture" seminar series, which is designed to educate and enrich our community and thereby broaden our overall impact.
Our mission is affirmed in policies and practices established by the University of Minnesota Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, the Office of the Vice President and Vice Provost for Equity and Diversity, and the College of Biological Sciences Code of Conduct.
We strive to provide a learning and research environment that is supportive of every student during their training. The resources below are available to both current and prospective graduate students.
- Graduate School Diversity Office
- Diversity of Views and Experiences (DOVE) Fellowship
- Office of Biomedical Graduate Research, Education and Training (BGREAT)
- Office of Equity and Diversity
- Directory of Multicultural Resources & Services
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Association of Multicultural Scientists (AMS)
- Black Graduate and Professional Student Association (BGAPSA)
- International Student and Scholar Services
- International Student Association
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Community of Scholars
- Women in Science and Engineering
- LGBTQ+ Resources
- Gender and Sexuality Center for Queer and Trans Life