BMBB Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity (DEI) Committee
The BMBB diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) committee fosters, and works to actively strengthen a culture that emphasizes mutual respect, inclusiveness, safety, and support. By promoting efforts to build an inclusive community in which all voices are heard, we aim to lead and collaborate on initiatives that will continuously enhance and improve our capabilities to educate and to advance science.
Community - Learn and practice community-building skills to help with the recruitment and retention of trainees from diverse cultures.
Education - Engage, educate, and empower the BMBB community members through seminars and workshops.
Outreach - Work wtih schools to provide opportunities for URM students to become involved in science in the department and at the University.
Policy - Work with the University community to propose, develop, and implement changes within and beyond the department.
Recruitment - Participate in recruitment efforts at all levels, undergraduate to faculty, to ensure inclusiveness and diversity.
Through the 2020-2021 academic year, the BMBB DEI Committee has:
- Established an "Enhancing our Culture" monthly seminar series, which augments our existing departmental seminar series by broadening the spectrum of speakers and topics discussed and creating opportunities for additional learning and growth.
- Contributed to student recruitment by sending welcome "UMN spirit" packages to candidates in advance of visiting the UMN campus.
- Helped mandate inclusion of DEI contributions in annual reports of faculty.
- Created an "Our Life, Our Sciences" video series to share stories about current members of the biochemistry community.
- Organized visit to Heritage Middle School (Oct. 8) -> Engage with students to explain a little bit about us (students, faculty, researchers) at different points in our careers and opportunities at the U of M. For example, Lillehei's Heart Institute Summer Research Scholar Program.
- Began to establish relationships aimed at outreach to local communities for undergraduate and graduate recruitment and future partnerships.
We strive to provide a learning and research environment that is supportive of every student during their training. The resources below are available to both current and prospective graduate students.
- Graduate School Diversity Office
- Diversity of Views and Experiences (DOVE) Fellowship
- Office of Biomedical Graduate Research, Education and Training (BGREAT)
- Office of Equity and Diversity
- Directory of Multicultural Resources & Services
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Association of Multicultural Scientists (AMS)
- Black Graduate and Professional Student Association (BGAPSA)
- International Student and Scholar Services
- International Student Association
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Community of Scholars
- Women in Science and Engineering
- LGBTQ+ Resources
- Gender and Sexuality Center for Queer and Trans Life