You are here

Graduate School and other fellowships at the University of Minnesota

The following is a list of fellowships from the Graduate School website. Check individual webpages for deadlines.


U of MN Doctoral Dissertation International Research Grant provides up to $5,000 for field research abroad. (Deadline: October 1 and March 1)

The U of MN Doctoral Dissertation Research Grant provides up to $2,500 for dissertation research after the student passed the preliminary examinations. (Deadlines: October 1 and March 1

The ICGC/MacArthur Program offers a number of fellowships and research grants for graduate students at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. The Doctoral Research MacArthur Scholar Fellowship for students examining processes in developing societies provides $6,000 for the cost of dissertation research (deadline: early December). The MacArthur International Internship Grant provides $2,000-$2,500 for travel and living expenses related to dissertation fieldwork in developing countries (deadline: March 3, 2003). The MacArthur International Pre-dissertation Fieldwork Grants provide up to $2,500 for exploratory dissertation field work in developing countries (deadline: February 21, 2003). The Compton Peace Fellowship for students from sub-Saharan Africa provides a pre-dissertation fieldwork grant of $2,500 plus a $13,600 dissertation grant for dissertation fieldwork (deadline: January 31, 2003).

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) offers some scholarships, tuition waiver, awards that cover health insurance and other academic expenses to international students who attend the University of Minnesota. This is a need based program. For more information, go to their web site and click on ?Financial Aid? or call (612) 626-7100.

The Minnesota Women's Center offers scholarships to women 28 years of age and older who are seeking a degree from the University of Minnesota after a five year or longer break in their education.

The Post-Secondary Child Care Grant Program offers child care funding assistance if you are a Minnesota resident, have eligibility for Minnesota State Grant, and meet income eligibility requirements. You must also have a 2.0 GPA at the end of your second year of attendance to continue to receive the grant. For more information, go to their web page or call the center at 612-625-0825.