The mission of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) is to ensure the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat, and our hunting heritage. Included in the hunting heritage part of this mission is supporting the education and development of professionals grounded in the North American Model of Wildlife Management .
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's Wildlife Leadership Awards (WLA) scholarship program was established in 1991 to "recognize, encourage and promote leadership among future wildlife management professionals." The awards are presented to undergraduate wildlife students, and carry a $3,000 scholarship and a one-year membership to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
The awards include the Torstenson Family Endowment WLA, established in memory of Bob Torstenson (1950-2002) and the Gerald L. (Jerry) Turpin WLA, established in memory of Gerald L (Jerry) Turpin (1977-2001). Recipients of both awards are selected from the same pool of applicants.
By the completion of the spring semester/quarter, applicants must:
1) Be an undergraduate in a wildlife related natural resource program, in a four-year college/university in the United States or Canada;
2) Have at least a junior standing (completed a minimum of 56 semester hours or 108 quarter hours);
3) Have at least one semester or two quarters remaining in their degree program;
4) Be scheduled to be enrolled as a full-time student for the following fall semester/quarter.
Previous recipients of the Elk Foundation’s Wildlife Leadership Awards are ineligible.
Your application must be postmarked no later than March 1.
1) Complete the Scholarship Application Form (only typed applications will be accepted).
2) Have your Department Head/Chairperson complete and sign their designated section.
3) Enclose two letters of recommendation from faculty in your department. Encourage them to stress your leadership qualities. The letters may be submitted separately from your application.
4) Mail, fax, or e-mail to:
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Phone: (800) 225-5355, ext. 264
Attn: Wildlife Leadership Awards
Fax: (406) 523-4581
P. O. Box 8249
Missoula, MT 59808-8249
Website : www.rmef.org
*NOTE: If you email your application, make sure that all signatures are signed, not typed, and sent as a PDF file.
You will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of your application. If you don’t receive an acknowledgement within four weeks, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each application will be screened by the RMEF Scholarship Committee. Final decisions on the Torstenson Family Endowment WLA will be made by the Committee, and final decisions on the Gerald L. Turpin WLA will be made by the Turpin Family. Award recipients will be announced by July, and scholarships will be awarded at the beginning of the fall semester/quarter.
The application can be accessed online here.