For second-year students
Hollings Scholarships provide 120 successful undergraduate applicants with awards that include academic assistance (up to $9,500 per year) for two years of full-time study and a 10-week, full-time paid ($700/week) internship at a NOAA facility. The internship, which takes place between the first and second years of the award, provides the scholars with hands-on, practical experience in NOAA-related science, research, technology, policy, management, and education activities. Awards also include travel funds to attend a mandatory NOAA Scholarship Program orientation and the annual Science & Education Symposium, scientific conferences where students present their research, and a housing subsidy for scholars who do not reside at home during the summer internship.
Eligible applicants will have two years of full-time study remaining in their undergraduate program, a GPA of at least 3.0, and a major related to either oceanic or atmospheric science, including but not limited to oceanic, environmental, biological, and atmospheric sciences, mathematics, engineering, remote sensing technology, physical and social sciences including geography, physics, hydrology, geomatics, or teacher education that support NOAA's programs and mission.
Recent UMTC winners include Claudia Althoen (ESPM) and Augustus Pendleton (Microbiology).
For second or third year students
- Goldwater Scholarships award up to $7500 per year to 240 sophomores and juniors who are U. S. citizens or permanent residents. A successful applicant typically has a GPA above 3.7 and significant research experience and must plan to pursue a research career in the natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering. Sophomore winners will receive the award for each of the two remaining years of their undergraduate career.
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities may nominate up to four candidates for awards. To apply students must submit a preliminary campus application to the Office of National and International Scholarships by November 20. Applications will be reviewed by the campus nominating committee and the nominees will submit applications to the national contest by January 26, 2018.
- Astronaut Scholarships award up to $10,000 per year to 40 sophomores and juniors nominated by a select group of top research universities. Winners are also invited to attend with all expenses paid the Innovators Gala in Washington D.C., which includes tours of museums and research facilities, networking and mentoring events, and an award dinner. Winners also receive early career mentoring from former Astronaut Scholars who are established in academia and industry.
Applicants must be U. S. citizens majoring in the applied or natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering, and must plan to pursue careers in scientific research after graduation. UMTC students interested in being considered must solicit and submit preliminary nominations to the Office of National and International Scholarships by February 12, 2018. The campus nominating committee will select 2-3 nominees to submit applications for the national selection.
For third and fourth year students
- Churchill Scholarships cover all the expenses of completing a one-year master’s degree program in the sciences at Cambridge University. Applicants must be U.S. citizens with outstanding academic achievement (3.8+ GPA), proven talent in research and a capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics by pursuing original, creative work at an advanced level, and outstanding personal qualities. Students may begin the application process in their junior for study at Cambridge following graduation or senior year for a gap year in between.
Fourteen scholarships are awarded annually and the University of Minnesota may nominate two candidates. Applicants must submit a preliminary application to the Office of National and International Scholarships by April 2, 2018. The campus nominating committee will select nominees to prepare applications for the November 2018 national deadline.
- Marshall Scholarships cover the expenses of two years of graduate study at any university in the United Kingdom. This could be a single two-year master’s program, two one-year master’s programs, or the first two years of a Ph.D. program. 40 awards are made annually to outstanding students (3.7+ GPA) in any major who demonstrate the potential to be national leaders in their fields. Successful applicants have exceptional academic records and broad intellectual interests, excellent leadership and communication skills, and a record of seizing opportunities and building productive relationships. Students may begin the application process in their junior for study at Cambridge following graduation or any year thereafter.
The University of Minnesota typically nominates two candidates. Applicants must submit a preliminary application to the Office of National and International Scholarships by April 2, 2018. The campus nominating committee will select nominees to prepare applications for the October 2018 national deadline.
- Rhodes Scholarships cover the expenses of two years of graduate study in any field at the University of Oxford. 32 awards are made annually to U.S. citizens, while students from Canada, India, Pakistan, China and several other countries may apply through their own national Rhodes contests. Successful applicants will have exceptional academic records (3.7+ GPA), character, leadership skills, and commitment to service. Students may begin the application process in their junior for study at Cambridge following graduation or any year thereafter up to age 23.
The University of Minnesota typically nominates 2-3 candidates for the U. S. contest and occasionally one for the Canadian contest. Applicants must submit a preliminary application to the Office of National and International Scholarships by April 2, 2018. The campus nominating committee will select nominees to prepare applications for the October 2018 national deadline.
For more information contact the Office of National and International Scholarships, email@example.com