- M.Ed. Life Science, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2011
- B.S. Biology (high distinction), University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2006
Scientific teaching; Course-based research opportunities for students in undergraduate laboratory courses; Technology in the classroom
I am very interested in the ways in which authentic research experiences can be incorporated in undergraduate laboratory courses. My research interests relate to strategies for providing opportunities for a large number of students that are still interesting and engaging and allow students to truly experience the scientific process by asking their own questions and discovering new information. I am also interested in the ways in which technology can be incorporated in the classroom, from classroom response systems (clickers) to student-created video podcasts designed to present recent scientific literature.
In Biol 2004/3004, Foundations of Biology II Laboratory, we strive to provide undergraduate students with an authentic research experience that allows them to ask their own questions, develop strategies for the best way to answer those questions, and discover new information. Along the way they also get the opportunity to collaborate with others and develop their laboratory and scientific writing skills. In Biol 2012, General Zoology, I hope to introduce students to the amazing diversity of animal life on this planet while tying in contemporary issues and scientific research as much as possible. In order to get students looking at the scientific literature each one works with a group to create a video podcast based on a recent scientific article relating to the animal group of their choosing. I am continuously striving to get students to learn and associate their studies with current issues and developments.
- Biol 2005 - Animal Diversity Laboratory
- Biol 2012 - General Zoology
- Biol 2004/3004 - Foundations of Biology II Laboratory
- Biol 4201 - Teaching in the Biology Laboratory
- Assistant Education Specialist, University of Minnesota, College of Biological Sciences, 2012-present
- Teaching Specialist, University of Minnesota, College of Biological Sciences, 2010-2012