My primary research focus is in the use and development of statistical analysis techniques to model and analyze experimental datasets. In particular, I am developing software tools in Mathematica to simulate and analyze spectra from DEER (double electron electron resonance) experiments, a technique that can make very sensitive measurements of distances within protein structures, but can be fraught with interpretation error due to instability inherent in the analysis of the signal. My previous research includes statistical modeling of single molecule motility and the development of a bifunctional spin label for the characterization of protein structure and function with EPR (electron paramagnetic resonance).
- Colson, B. A., A. R. Thompson, L. M. Espinoza-Fonseca, D. D. Thomas. 2016. Site-directed spectroscopy of cardiac myosin-binding protein C reveals effects of phosphorylation on protein structural dynamics. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 113(12):3233-3238
- Thompson, A. R., B. P. Binder, J. E. McCaffrey, and D. D. Thomas. 2015. Bifunctional spin labeling of muscle proteins: accurate distance, orientation, and rotational dynamics by EPR. Methods Enzymol 564:102-123.
- Binder, B. P., S. Cornea, A. R. Thompson, R. J. Moen, and D. D. Thomas. 2015. High-resolution helix orientation determined with a bifunctional spin label. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 112:7972-7977.
- McCarthy M. R., A. R. Thompson, F. Nitu, R. J. Moen, M. J. Olenek, J. C. Klein and D. D. Thomas. 2015. Impact of Methionine Oxidation on Calmodulin Structural Dynamics. Biochem Biophys Re. Commun 456(2): 567-572.
- Hoeprich, G. J., A. R. Thompson, D. P. McVicker, W. O. Hancock and C. L. Berger. 2014. Kinesin’s Neck-Linker Determines its Ability to Navigate Obsticals on the Microtubule Surface. Biophys J 106(8): 1691-1700.
- McVicker, D. P., Hoeprich, G. J., A. R. Thompson and C. L. Berger. 2014. Tau interconverts between diffusive and stable populations on the microtubule surface in an isoform and lattice specific manner. Cytoskeleton 71(3): 184-194.
- Thompson A. R., G. J. Hoeprich, and C. L. Berger. 2013. Single Molecule Motility: Statistical Analysis and the Effects of Track Length on Quantification of Processive Motion. Biophys J 104: 2651-2662.
- Hannah A. D., B. H. Blehm, J. Sheung, A. R. Thompson, C. S. Bookwalter, S. F. Torabi, T. A. Schroer, Y. Lu, C. L. Berger, K. M. Trybus, P. R. Selvin. Force-dependent Regulation of Kinesin-1 by Motor-domain Phosphorylation. J Biol Chem 288(45): 32612-32621.
- Thompson A. R., N. Naber, C. Wilson, R. Cooke, and D. D. Thomas. 2008. Structural Dynamics of the Actomyosin Complex Probed by a Bifunctional Spin Label that Cross-Links SH1 and SH2. Biophys J 95: 5238-5246.