The deadline to apply for a Spring 2019 CBS Circle Guide paid facilitator position is Saturday, January 26 at 11:59 p.m.
Each Circle Guide will initiate the idea for the topic or goal of a Circle and will facilitate a small group of other CBS juniors, seniors, or transfer students who are interested in the same topic or goal and who sign up to participate in the Circle. Circle Guides will choose whether to hold one hour meetings every week or every other week throughout the spring semester.
CBS Circle Guide responsibilities include:
- Assist with the recruitment of peers into your group
- **You must confirm that at least one other eligible CBS student (junior, senior, or transfer student) is planning to participate in your Circle this spring and include that student’s name and email address in the application.**
- Organize and facilitate group meetings
- Circle Guides will collaborate with the participants in their Circle to choose a consistent weekly or every other week meeting day and time (minimum of one hour long)
- Develop agendas for group meetings in consultation with program administrators
- Facilitate meetings so that peers are engaged, actively listen, and are on task
- Write meeting summaries/journals reflecting on your own leadership development, questions you have, or ideas you may need to move forward
- Attend Kick-Off Training
- Participate in check-in meetings with program administrators during the spring semester
Total hour calculations are based on meeting preparation (i.e. planning and writing agendas), facilitation, and reflection, along with attending training and check-in meetings.
Spring 2019 Circle meetings are expected to start the week of February 10th and go through the end of the semester (10 weeks).
- Facilitate meetings every week for 10 weeks in Spring 2019 = $500 total compensation
- Expected to work approximately 40 hours in Spring 2019 at a pay rate of $12.50/hour
- Facilitate meetings every other week for 10 weeks in Spring 2019 = $250 total compensation
- Expected to work approximately 20 hours in Spring 2019 at a pay rate of $12.50/hour
- Funds for ordering snacks and supplies needed for your Circle meetings
- Rooms reserved for your Circle meetings
- Participation in experiential/hands-on learning
- Development of transferrable skills in group facilitation, active listening, leadership, and professional communication
- Expanded networking opportunities with other CBS students and professional staff
- Be enrolled in the College of Biological Sciences for Spring 2019 with a minimum of six credits
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and no campus disciplinary record at the time of application
- You are responsible for informing the program administrator if your cumulative GPA falls below a 2.5 or a new campus disciplinary record occurs during your time of employment.
- Evidence of excellent oral/written communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a variety of people, including a diverse student body
- Enthusiasm for working with a small group of peers on shared interests and goals
- Ability to maintain a high level of self-motivation, maturity, and flexibility
To apply, please complete the online application. In the application, you will be prompted to describe the topic and goals of your Circle and indicate if you will be meeting weekly or every other week.
Students can apply to facilitate a maximum of two different Circles in Spring 2019. After determining the final number of applicants and diversity of CBS Circle ideas, Meaghan Stein, the program coordinator, will discuss your options with you.
As part of your application, you will be asked to answer the following questions:
1. What is the proposed title of your Circle?
2. Give a detailed description of the topic of your Circle. Include some ideas about the content of your discussions during Circle meetings or the activities you would facilitate in the Circle meetings.
3. List two goals for what you hope this Circle would accomplish by the end of the spring semester.
4. Why are you interested in facilitating this specific Circle?
5. What strengths would you bring to the CBS Circle Guide paid facilitator position