The deadline to apply for the paid Spring 2021 CBS Circle Guide position is Sunday, January 24 at 5 p.m.
Each Circle Guide will initiate the idea for the topic or goal of a Circle and will facilitate a small group of other CBS juniors, seniors, or transfer students who are interested in the same topic or goal and who sign up to participate in the Circle. Circle Guides will choose whether to hold one hour meetings every week or every other week online throughout the spring semester.
CBS Circle Guide responsibilities include:
- Assist with the recruitment of peers into your group
- **You must confirm that at least one other eligible CBS student (junior, senior, or transfer student) is planning to participate in your Circle this spring and include that student’s name and email address in the application.**
- Organize and facilitate group meetings
- Circle Guides will collaborate with the participants in their Circle to choose a consistent one hour weekly or every other week meeting day and time (meetings will be held online)
- Develop agendas for group meetings in consultation with program administrators
- Facilitate meetings so that peers are engaged, actively listen, and are on task
- Write meeting summaries/journals reflecting on your own leadership development, questions you have, or ideas you may need to move forward
- Attend Kick-Off Training
- Participate in check-in meetings with program administrators during the spring semester
Total hour calculations are based on meeting preparation (i.e. planning and writing agendas), facilitation, and reflection, along with attending training and check-in meetings.
Spring 2021 Circle meetings are expected to start the week of February 7 or February 14 and go through the end of spring semester, excluding the week of spring break (10 weeks).
- Facilitate weekly meetings (10 total) = $400 total compensation
- Expected to work ~3 hours per week for 10 weeks at a pay rate of $12.50/hour
- Facilitate every other week meetings (5 total) = $200 total compensation
- Expected to work ~3 hours per week every other week (5 weeks total) at a pay rate of $12.50/hour
- Participation in experiential/hands-on learning
- Development of transferrable skills in group facilitation, active listening, leadership, and professional communication
- Expanded networking opportunities with other CBS students and professional staff
- Supplies needed for your Circle meetings
- Be enrolled in the College of Biological Sciences for Spring 2021 with a minimum of six credits
- Evidence of excellent oral/written communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a variety of people, including a diverse student body
- Enthusiasm for working with a small group of peers on shared interests and goals
- Ability to maintain a high level of self-motivation, maturity, and flexibility
To apply, please complete the online application. In the application, you will be prompted to describe the topic and goals of your Circle and indicate if you will be meeting weekly or every other week.
Students can apply to facilitate a maximum of two different Circles in Spring 2021.
As part of your application, you will be asked to answer the following questions:
- What is the title of your proposed Circle?
- Write a detailed description of your Circle. Include information about the possible content of your discussions or the activities you would facilitate.
- List two goals for what you hope this Circle would accomplish by the end of the spring semester.
- What strengths would you bring to the CBS Circle Guide position? (You don't need to have any specific knowledge or skills related to your Circle topic.)