The HHMI science education grant program provides authentic research experiences to transfer students and non-science majors who take introductory biology courses.
Students doing authentic research
- formulate and test a hypothesis to make a discovery
- perform observational, descriptive, or computer-simulated research to interpret, organize, or analyze existing information in new ways
- choose a topic, identify resources, and gather, analyze, and share their data
- use creativity and inquiry to generate knowledge (not simply replicate or report what is already known)
- use techniques that approximate real research done in University laboratories
- take ownership of their projects