University requirements for graduate students traveling abroad
- Graduate assistants, residents, fellows, and students must register their international travel with the university. See the GPSAlliance international travel registry webpage.
- Graduate assistants, residents, fellows, and students must obtain international travel health insurance and complete a release and waiver form. These steps are part of the international travel registry system online.
You may opt out of the University-issued international travel health insurance if you have the Graduate Assistant Health Plan (GAHP).
See http://global.umn.edu/travel/insurance/outgoing.html#who_must_apply-tab for more details on who must purchase and who may opt out of international travel health insurance.
See https://shb.umn.edu/gahp-additional-benefits for details on accessing your GAHP international travel health insurance.
Additional travel abroad resources
- Visit the Boynton International Travel Clinic to get the vaccines and meds before travel.
- Book early! Alternately, you can visit another travel clinic in the Twin Cities and be reimbursed for the visit.
- Go to the CDC website has health-related resources listed by country.
- Find country-specific information on visas at the State Department website.
- In general sample import/export is to be handled under a PI’s permit. Check the USDA Import/Export website for more information.