Policies and forms

Rules and regulations

All guests of Itasca Biological Station and Laboratories are expected to read and comply with the IBSL's rules and regulations. These documents are posted in all cabins and buildings at IBSL for your convenience. Because the station is located within Itasca State Park, you are also required to comply with all Minnesota State Park Rules.

Recreational guests

Cabins are not available for recreational use.

All Groups

Group coordinators are expected to become familiar with and follow the Responsibilities of Coordinators and Group Leaders Checklist.

Non-University of Minnesota Groups

All non-University of Minnesota groups must sign a Facilities Use Agreement and provide proof of insurance prior to occupancy at the Facility. This proof of insurance must show general liability coverage with limits of not less than $1,000,000, naming Regents of the University of Minnesota as an additional insured. Email ibsl@umn.edu to prepare the Facilities Use Agreement, and consult with your organization to procure the appropriate proof of insurance.

Acceptable Proof of Insurance Options

Expand all

Acceptable Proof of Insurance Options

Certificate of Insurance

Many oranizations have Commercial General Liabilitiy Insurance. Groups from an organization that carries their own insurance may provide a Certificate of Insurance evidencing general liability coverage with limits of not less than $1,000,000, naming Regents of the University of Minnesota as an additional insured. 

Letter of Self-Insurance

State and other governmental agencies that are self-insured can provide a letter stating that fact, and the coverage limits for such insurance, on departmental letterhead to satisfy the proof of insurance requirement.

TULIP coverage

If a group does not have its own coverage, it may purchase Tenant User’s Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP). This program is designed for third-party facility users who need to purchase general liability insurance for an event. TULIP is a General Liability policy that protects both the facility user and the University. The policy provides coverage for bodily and personal injury or property damage arising out of the use of University premises by external users.

To purchase coverage for your event:

  1. Visit Tulip insurance

  2. Click on "Get A Quote" located on the left side of the screen or "QuickQuote" located at the top of the page.

  3. Select the location of your event by following the prompts:

    • State – Minnesota

    • Location – The University of Minnesota

    • Venue – 4025 Regents of the University of Minnesota

  4. Select the dates and attendance for your events using the calendar function. Note: Coverage is required for all days of your event

  5. Select your event type by following the prompts.

  6. Disregard the "Additional coverage options screen (excess coverage, alcohol and vendors...) as this additional coverage is not required." The policies and paperwork regarding alcohol use can be viewed in the forms library.

  7. Review your Coverage and Premium.

  8. Input payment information and click "Submit."

  9. Forward a copy of your receipt to the reservation or event contact you are working with for your event.