The CBS Honors Program is part of the new University Honors Program. Students participating in honors in the College of Biological Sciences may visit the University Honors Program website for more information.
CBS Honors Program FAQ
Who’s my Academic Advisor?
You will have one assigned advisor that will assist and guide you with both CBS degree requirements and UHP requirements and your undergraduate journey. You can check your MyU to verify your current Academic Advisor.
CBS Honors advisors are:
There are required appointments (please keep in mind that drop-ins would not count):
- First year students: minimum of one each term
- Sophomore students: minimum of one each term
- Junior students: once a year
- Senior students: once a year, ideally fall to make sure all is set prior to graduation
What courses can I take for my CBS degree that can also fulfill an Honors-course Experience?
Offered Both Terms
- BIOL 1951H: Foundations of Biology Lecture I for Biological Sciences Majors, Part I
- BIOL 2003H: Foundations of Biology for Biological Sciences Majors, Part II
- Any Grand Challenge Curriculum (GCC) fulfills a CBS elective requirement and UHP course experience.
Offered Fall Only
- CHEM 1071H: Honors Chemistry I with CHEM 1075H: Honors Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHEM 1071H: Honors Chemistry I
- CHEM 1075H: Honors Chemistry I Laboratory
- MATH 1571H: Honors Calculus I
- PHYS 1401V: Honors Physics I
- CHEM 2312H: Honors Organic Lab
- CHEM 2331H: Honors Elementary Organic Chemistry I
Offered Spring Only
- CHEM 1072H: Honors Chemistry II with CHEM 1076H: Honors Chemistry II Laboratory
- MATH 1572H: Honors Calculus II
- PHYS 1402V: Honors Physics II
For other Honors courses and non-course experiences, please refer back to UHP Requirements website.
What are the REQUIRED Thesis Developmental Sequence Courses to graduate with Latin Honors in CBS?
BIOL 2960H: Exploring Research in the Biological Sciences
- One of three prep courses.
- Enroll Sophomore year. Available fall only.
BIOL 3960H: Communication in the Biological Sciences
- Second of three prep courses.
- Enroll Junior year, available fall and spring.
- Strongly recommended to take it during fall term.
BIOL 4960H: Thesis Writing in the Biological Sciences: Developing the Literature Review
- Third of three prep courses.
- Enroll Senior year. Available fall only.
- Students will start thesis in this course.
BIOL 4961H: Thesis Writing in the Biological Sciences: Conveying and Contextualizing Results
- Enroll Senior year. Available spring only.
- Students continue to write thesis and complete it in this course.
*BIOL 2960H+3960H+4960H= 1 honors course
Some circumstances such as graduating early, going abroad, or starting UHP as a post-freshman admit, students may enroll in two prep courses concurrently with permission (i.e. BIOL 2960H/3960H or BIOL 3960H/4960H). Be sure to check in with your Academic Advisor and Thesis Faculty Rep, Dr. Leslie Schiff (firstname.lastname@example.org).