Explore admission requirements for students transferring from within the University of Minnesota system to the College of Biological Sciences.
Questions about the transfer process or planning your classes? Please sign up for one of our transfer information sessions or contact CBS Student Services at 612-624-9717.
- Students must be in good academic standing with their current college.
- 2.0 cumulative GPA based on completion of 26 semester credits. A minimum of 12 credits must be completed at the University of Minnesota.
- Science GPA of 2.5 or higher with at least three science GPA courses completed prior to application deadline. See below for science GPA policies.
The science GPA will be calculated using grades from all attempts (original and repeats) at courses applicable to CBS major requirements as found in the most current University Catalog, with the following stipulations:
- A minimum of three completed courses with A-F grading must be included in the science GPA.
- At least one science GPA course (three credits minimum) must be completed at the University of Minnesota.
- For the purpose of the science GPA, CHEM 1061 + 1065 are considered to be one science course, and CHEM 1062 + 1066 are considered to be one science course. BIOL 1951+1961 are also considered to be one science course. Other pairs of coupled lecture and lab courses will be treated similarly.
- BIOL 2005/2007 only counts in the science GPA when paired with BIOL 3211. The pair will be considered one science GPA course.
- GCC, PHAR, and PSY courses are excluded from the science GPA although they count in some CBS majors.
- AP/IB courses will not count towards the science GPA but may fulfill degree requirements.
- Transfer courses that may satisfy CBS degree requirements will be included at the college’s discretion.
Students should consult the University Catalog and information above to identify science GPA courses which courses might be applicable to their desired degree program (noting that degree requirements are subject to change prior to your admission to CBS).
Courses listed below fulfill requirements in most CBS majors and can be helpful to take prior to admission to CBS to make progress in our majors and fulfill the science GPA admission requirement.
- Chemistry: CHEM1061+1065, 1062+1066, 2301, 2302, 2311
- Quantitative I Requirement (calculus): MATH 1241, 1271 or 1371
- Quantitative II Requirement: STAT 3011, MATH 1272 or 1372, MATH 2241, CSCI 1133
- Physics (calculus-based): PHYS 1201W, 1202W, 1301W, 1302W
- Biology: BIOL 1951+1961, 2003, 3004, 2005/2007, 3002, 3005W, 3007W, 3211; EEB 3407/3408W, 3409, 3411/3412W
Notes: BIOL 1951+1961, 2003, and 3004 are generally reserved for current CBS students or those who are already transfer eligible. You should plan to complete your three science GPA courses without these biology courses.
Students who meet the above criteria but have fewer than 26 semester credits completed will be reviewed based on their college and high school coursework using a combination of the transfer and freshman admission requirements. Students who have less than 26 semester credits must still have completed three graded Science GPA courses prior to the application deadline.
How to Apply
- Go to onestop.umn.edu/forms
- Open the Admissions, Transfer, and Re-enrollment section
- Complete the “Application for Undergraduate Change of College (electronic)"
If you are attempting to add a CBS major as your second major or degree while maintaining your currently declared program, you still need to be admitted to CBS through transfer admission. Please contact CBS at prior to submitting your application as you may need to apply through a different process.
- Fall Admission - February 1 (new deadline for 2018)
- Spring Admission – October 1
Applicants should expect to receive their admission decision via U of M email approximately three weeks after the application deadline. Late applications will not be considered.
Foundations of Biology Learn more about the biology sequence for CBS majors
Transfer credits How do your previously earned credits transfer to CBS?