Additional information

Expand all

Additional information

What are science courses?

Science courses are all math and science-based courses applicable to CBS major requirements as found in the most current University Catalog. Degree requirements are subject to change prior to the student's admission to CBS. 

Courses listed below fulfill requirements in most CBS majors and can be helpful to take prior to admission into CBS.

  • Chemistry: CHEM 1061+1065, 1062+1066, 2301, 2302, 2311 or CHEM 1081+1065, CHEM 1082+1086, CHEM 2081+2085
  • Quantitative I Requirement (calculus): MATH 1241, 1271, or 1371
  • Quantitative II Requirement: STAT 3011, MATH 1272 or 1372, MATH 2241, CSCI 1133
  • Physics (calculus-based): PHYS 1201W/1221, 1202W/1222, 1301W, 1302W
  • Other Biology: BIOL 1951+1961, 2003+3004, 3211; PMB 3002, 3005W, 3007W; EEB 3407/3408W, 3409, 3411/3412W

What should I know about science courses and science GPA?

  • Science GPA is calculated using all grades of completed science courses applicable to CBS major requirements as found in the most current University Catalog, including original and repeated attempted (referred to as an "unbracketed science GPA")
  • Applicants must have a minimum of three completed courses applicable to CBS major requirements (grades A-F) with at least one science GPA course (3 credits minimum) completed at the University of Minnesota at the time of application. 
  • Transfer courses that satisfy CBS major requirements will be included in the science GPA for admission.
  • If a CBS major requirement requires a lecture and lab to fulfill the requirement, students must take both lecture and lab to be factored into the science GPA for admission and both lecture and lab only count as one course towards the minimum of three completed courses (e.g. CHEM 1061+1065, BIOL 1951+1961, etc).
  • GCC, PHAR, and PSY designator courses count for some CBS major requirements, but will not count towards the science GPA for admission. 
  • AP/IB courses may fulfill major requirements, but will not count towards the science GPA for admission. 

How do I check my science GPA?

You can check your science GPA at anytime by running a What-if APAS. To access this tool, follow these steps:

  1. Log into MyU and select the Academics tab. 
  2. Click the APAS link under Planning.
  3. Click the Run a What-if APAS link.
  4. Select the appropriate college (College of Biological Sciences), program (Science GPA), and catalog year (semester). 
  5. Click the Run What-if APAS button at bottom of the page.

NOTE: This report should only be used as a tool. Inaccuracies occur when you have earned AP credit, transfer credit, and have repeated courses. The report also mistakenly adds lectures without the labs being completed. Ensure you review your record carefully and understand how science GPA is calculated. Refer to other GPA calculating tools if you suspect inaccuracies. When in doubt, always consult with

BIOL 1951+1961 enrollment for non-CBS students

Beginning Spring 2020, students planning for transfer within the U to CBS are able to register for Foundations of Biology when registration opens to non-degree and visiting students (see dates and deadlines). CBS will no longer review applications for Foundations of Biology access.

S Grades

CBS will accept S grades for courses taken in Spring 2020 and Summer 2020. For ICT/IUT students, a GPA of 2.5 or higher is required in at least three science courses so at least one course needs to be graded. 

Want to add a CBS major as your second major or degree?

Students will still need to be admitted to CBS through the transfer admission process. Please make sure you meet the admission requirements and complete the Additional Undergraduate Degree Program Application

If you have additional questions about transferring from another college within the University of Minnesota system, you must first attend an information session.

CBS Transfer Coordinators  |  |  612-624-9717