Requesting an external committee member

Committee members from outside the University may participate on your advisory and examination committees. The outside members must bring scientific expertise to your committee that cannot be found among the faculty at the University of Minnesota. To request an external committee member:

  • Your advisor must send to your program's Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) a letter of request and the proposed committee member's curriculum vitae. 
  • The DGS will review the request and recommend to approve or deny the appointment.
  • If approved by your program, the DGS emails a memo to the CBS Associate Dean for Graduate Education (Carrie Wilmot,, requesting approval of the appointment.
  • If approved, your graduate program should notify CBS Human Resources of the approval, along with the external committee member's birth date. CBS Human Resources will enter the committee member into PeopleSoft.